Sunday, June 30, 2013

Reflections on Lifelong Learning

1) There are 2 habits that will be challenging to employ moving forward.  The first is beginning with the end in mind.  Too often I find myself looking at technology as something that is cool, playing with it, and then forgetting about it when it comes time to apply it in my curriculum.  Beginning with the end in mind will force me to look at what it is that I want my students to accomplish and then searching out the piece of technology that will help them to do so.  This will make technology much more useful in my curriculum but also requires foresight and planning, not two of my strengths.  Similarly, using technology to my advantage is also an area where I expect to struggle.  Again, the notion of using it and allowing the technology to make work simpler and less time consuming, rather than the opposite, is something that I've struggled with constantly over the last several years.
2) The habit that will be easiest for me as a lifelong learner is creating a learning toolbox.  I usually am able to have a variety of skills and abilities that allow me to continue to learn but as stated above, struggle in finding the opportunities to use them.
3) I think dealing with the two issues stated in number one above will be most important for me to deal with.  Otherwise, I will come out of this course with more tools in my toolbox but little sense of how or when to use them.

1 comment:

  1. A big hurdle for many the time bandit that is technology. As the tech has moved to more web-based tools, I've found them to be much more reliable. There is definitely a lot more work on the front end to make things work, but once you have created something that does work, simple tweaks make it less cumbersome down the road.

    ReplyDelete